[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for July

annick.lefollic at bnf.fr annick.lefollic at bnf.fr
Tue Jul 12 10:36:01 CEST 2016

Hello all,

Each year, the different sections of the  BnF legal deposit department
give a view of the documents they have received. L’Observatoire du dépôt
légal : reflet de l’édition contemporaine is now available online (in
French only):
http://www.bnf.fr/fr/professionnels/depot_legal_definition/s.depot_legal_observatoire.html
.
It gives analysis and raw data from 2015 on seed domains (more than
900,000 have appeared since the previous year and more than 500,000 have
disappeared), on format, on http response codes, on the biggest harvested
domains…

This month we also have several project crawls on different themes.

Among these project crawls, the annual one dedicated to French Official
Publications is still going on with few new aims. Launched in the middle
of June, it contains a sample of the web social presence of the central
administration, with the decision to add the social media accounts of
ministers and public bodies. While this is unfortunately without crawls of
Facebook pages because of the now well-known problem of captchas, the goal
is to reflect this type of official communication that was previously not
so well covered in our selections. The frequence of the crawls of these
specific ways to promote official publications, administrative and
political communication could be extended in the future. The traditional
aim of collecting the "classic" online publications is still relevant,
with more than 800 URL seeds of traditional websites, crawled with a
100,000 URL budget for each.
Our annual crawl of auction houses has just finished. The scope of the
collection is the same as in previous years, but last year the platform
auction.fr, which represents about a third of the crawl, blocked access by
our robots. The librarian in charge of the selection contacted the site
owner who was happy to let us crawl the site, and the quality seems much
better this year. We also have to be careful as the majority of the sites
are hosted on two platforms (auction.fr and Drouot), and their catalogues
and images are stored on a small number of hosts - we have to increase the
budget for these hosts to collect as much as possible.

We are also maintaining our crawl "Solidarities" with the same scope as
last year, though we have also included sites that were  selected for an
emergency crawl on the refugee crisis .

Expositions :
La franc-maçonnerie  - jusqu'au 24 juillet 2016 - BnF - François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.