[Netarchivesuite-users] Some Questions

Søren Vejrup Carlsen svc at kb.dk
Wed Jun 11 18:06:42 CEST 2014

Hi Peter.
Ad 1. You cannot do that from the GUI. You must delete them from the database (DELETE FROM jobs where job_id=X)
Ad 2. Domain vs. seeds

A seed is a URL (http://www.kb.dk) and a seed belongs to a specific Top-Level-domain (TLD), in this case kb.dk

NAS can accept a list of TLDs (kb.dk, bold.dk,...) and ingest them. When this happens, a Domain entity is created in NAS and  a basic seed is created for that domain , currently "www." + TLD
In NAS, you can create new seedlist for a domain, and edit old ones.

Another important concept in NAS is DomainConfiguration. This is basically a combination of a heritrix template and a seedlist

Each domain has at least one DomainConfiguration, which is a combination of the default seedlist ("www." +tld) and the default heritrix template)

A snapshot harvests combines the default domain DomainConfiguration of all domains in Netarchivesuite into multiple heritrix crawl-jobs in order to distribute onto multiple machines.

Each crawl-job is limited to harvesting the TLDs of the seeds in the combined seedlist (of all the default seedlist)

Ad selective harvest. When setting up a selective harvest, you can give NAS a series of seeds (URLS). In this case, domain entities are created for non-existing domains, and a seedlist added with the seed(s) from the urlist as only content.

A new DomainConfiguration is created for all these seeds using a Heritrix template of choice and some other criteria like (maxobject, maxbytes)

When a Heritrix-crawl-job is created, all DomainConfiguratrions with the same Heitrix Template can be put together into one job.

I hope this makes it easier to understand

Best Regards
Søren Vejrup Carlsen, NetarchiveSuite developer