[Netarchivesuite-users] Getting rid of consoles in simple_harvest setup

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen kfc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Fri Oct 31 10:48:21 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 15:58 +0100, nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have deployed a small sandbox environment, which is actually just
> the "simple_harvest" setup with KEEPDATA=true environment variable. My
> problem with this setup is that I need an X server to start the
> components, because there are consoles opened for each component
> "HarvestController, BitArchive, Sidekicks and so on). I  read the
> INtallation Manual but was unable to find a way to start the
> applicatio witouht those consoles. I'd rather have the components
> output to rolling logs. How can I do that?

The quick start manual explicitly opens xterms, mostly to demonstrate
that several applications are running.

You can modify the "harvest.sh"-script to not use xterm, by removing the
occurrences of

$XTERM_CMD $HOLD -geometry $termgeom -title "$title" -e
$XTERM_CMD $XTERM_ARGS -geometry $TERM_SIZE`makeXtermOffset` -title
\"$title\" -e
$XTERM_CMD -geometry 40x12`makeXtermOffset` $HOLD -title SideKick -e
$XTERM_CMD $HOLD -geometry $TERM_SIZE+`makeXtermOffset` -title " JMS
Broker" -e

so each command simply starts java without embedding it in xterms.

Logging can be changed in the file "log.prop". In your instance you
probably want to set:

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level=OFF

so logging is not done to the terminal. A few things are still printed
during startup and shutdown of each application though.

Best,
  Kåre
--
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen - NetarchiveSuite-developer
THE STATE AND UNIVERSITY LIBRARY,