[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for March

peter.stirling at bnf.fr peter.stirling at bnf.fr
Mon Mar 12 17:18:30 CET 2012

Dear all,

Here is our update for March, focusing on our election crawl.

Harvest for the 2012 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections
We have already started to harvest websites for the elections. As the
candidates use social networks massively, we conducted special analyses
about Facebook and Twitter. We had no problem with Facebook but Twitter
was a real nightmare with redirections and # in the URL. Fortunately we
manage to harvest it thanks to a special profile (without the mention
Mozilla in the user agent), four times per day. However we have not yet
resolved the problem of its access in the wayback machine.

We have made also a focus on videos, especially the platform Dailymotion.
With a Beanshell script, we succeed in crawling more than 17 000 videos in
two days. We'll use the same solution for our big Dailymotion harvest at
the end of the month.

If you would like any more details please don't hesitate to ask.

Exposition  Miniatures flamandes  - jusqu'au 10 juin 2012 - BnF - François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.