[Netarchivesuite-users] Discussing what version of Java to use with the next release of NetarchiveSuite.

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen tra at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon May 12 13:30:23 CEST 2014

(also posted to –devel)

In the coming months we will pay off some of the “technical debts” in NetarchiveSuite, one of these being upgrading the tested platform from Oracle Java 6 which Oracle stopped free updates for in February 2013.

There are currently two choices where the state as of today is:

Java 7 – widely available, commercially from at least Oracle and IBM, and freely as OpenJDK on many Linux platforms.
Java 8 – freshly released from Oracle.  IBM Java 8 is in beta, and OpenJDK is not available yet on Linux platforms.

However, Java 7 will stop being supported by Oracle around April next year (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html) .  As we currently expect to have the next release ready for production usage in fourth quarter 2014 or first quarter 2015, this is a factor that needs consideration.

Also, it may be a problem for some users that they may not be able to upgrade to Java 7 and/or 8 for technical or political reasons.  If so, we would like to hear about it.

Thanks

/Thorbjørn