[Netarchivesuite-users] production and maintenance questions

sara.aubry at bnf.fr sara.aubry at bnf.fr
Thu Feb 18 16:54:57 CET 2010

Hi Bjarne,

Don't be sad! Exploitation problems are normal, great when you're just
testing and here to give some work to engineers :-)

We are running our first step with a maximum of 3500 domains per job and a
budget of 200 URL per domain
which makes 700 000 URL max per job, so they are small jobs!

We will definitetly check how many reports we are missing and let you
know.

And we followed the second workaround (create the report with
make-reports.pl and restart the
HarvestController), it created the metadata ARC file and uploaded the ARC
file.

Thanks for your help!

Sara

Message de : Bjarne Andersen <bja at statsbiblioteket.dk>
                      18/02/2010 09:18

Envoyé par :
<netarchivesuite-users-bounces at lists.gforge.statsbiblioteket.dk>

Veuillez répondre à
<netarchivesuite-users at lists.gforge.statsbiblioteket.dk>

Pour
"netarchivesuite-users at lists.gforge.statsbiblioteket.dk"
<netarchivesuite-users at lists.gforge.statsbiblioteket.dk>
Copie
"bert.wendland at bnf.fr" <bert.wendland at bnf.fr>, "PAUL.FIEVRE at bnf.fr"
<PAUL.FIEVRE at bnf.fr>
Objet
Re: [Netarchivesuite-users] production and maintenance questions

Hi Sara.

I'm quite sad to hear that you face problems although domain crawling is
potentially troublesome.
I'm not aware that any of our jobs should be missing heritrix reports -
although we don't formally use all of them so we have never checked !! -
we should definately look into this. VERY IMPORTANT. I'm not aware of any
way to set the time waiting for heritrix to finish - I think the time was
raised to 5 min in the last release (Developer please confirm !) - should
maybe be a setting in the configurations.

Do you run very large jobs ? (we normally don't exeed 2 million URIs in 1
job - and don't seem to have this problem - I hope)

There is a deprecated module for doing part of the task creating a
metadata-file:
http://netarchive.dk/suite/Additional_Tools_Manual_3.12/Tools_in_Harvester_Module

But I'm not sure it useable out of the box. I think it was developed in
earlier days when we had trouble with missing CDX-files in the
metadata-files.

I think the workaround for (2) would be to do as you suggested
(make-reports.pl) and put the job back into a harvester-directory and
restart this. That should actually create the metadata-file again. So if
you can delete the "empty" metadata-file in your archive (or maybe rename
it or back it up) the new one (including all the reports) should be
generated and uploaded

-
Bjarne