[Netarchivesuite-users] Error creating singleton of class 'dk.netarkivet.harvester.harvesting.JMXHeritrixController':

Bjarne Andersen bja at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Feb 15 10:54:01 CET 2010

Ah. In that case you could have discovered a new bug.

I am pretty sure that Jonas was right in his previous answer about unique port numbers. But the problem here could bet hat the NS-HarvestController is started up well and accepting new jobs - but can't start the heritrix-process because of portnumber problems thus failing 1 job, taking another, failing again and so on.

The problem could be configuration as Jonas pointed out - but I know BnF people are clever people, so I don't really believe in that. The problem could also be that there is a hanging heritrix-process (from a previous job) that NS-HarvestController failed to shut down (or even kill). I think that situation could cause the situation you experienced.

The prefered logic would be that if NS-HarvestController fails to start a heritrix-process it should be a little cleverer and not just taking another job failing again. So it the heritrix-startup fails it should most likely stop accepting new jobs at all and give a serious warning.

If your system is still running you could check processes on the harvester server to see if there is an orphan heritrix process.

Best
Bjarne