[Netarchivesuite-users] JMX user names

nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr
Mon Apr 20 18:08:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a question about the configuration properties
settings.monitor.jmxUserName and
settings.harvester.harvesting.heritrix.jmxUserName.

I understand that the deploy module uses the settings defined in the
deploy configuration file to generate the file jxmemote.password.

1) If I don't specify the property settings.monitor.jmxUserName the
deployer complains "WARNING: No usernames or passwords for monitor on
machine foo", and no credentials are generated in jmxremote.password.
Hence monitoring is broken, java.lang.SecurityExceptions are thrown as the
authentication is invalid.

2) If I don't specify the property
settings.harvester.harvesting.heritrix.jmxUserName the deployer does not
complain. However a java.lang.SecurityException is thrown when the harvest
controller attempts to start an heritrix instance :  "
java.lang.SecurityException: Access denied! No entries found in the access
file [/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_13/jre/lib/management/jmxremote.access] for any
of the authenticated identities [nas_bnf_test_monitorRole] ", why is it
looking for oles and passwords in JAVA_HOME and not in the
jmxremote.password, which is correctly generated?

3) If I specify both settings.monitor.jmxUserName and
settings.harvester.harvesting.heritrix.jmxUserName , no matter if the
values are the same or different, the deployer complains "WARNING:
Different usernames or passwords under heritrix in machine foo", and no
credentials are generated in jmxremote.password.

In the quickstart environment, there are 2 different user names and
passwords in the jmxremote.password file, but only the heritrix one is
configured in settings.xml ... I'm puzzled, what is the correct way to set
JMX user names and passwords?

Nicolas

Consider the environment before printing this mail.