[Netarchivesuite-users] MySQL database , security and programmatic migration on startup - WHY?

nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr
Tue Apr 14 14:36:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am installing the NetArchive Suite  and setting my configuration. I am
using MySQL for the database, and I have configured very strict access
permissions, as my IT requires :

- root has full privileges and can only access from localhost
- the applications use a specific user with limited privileges (SELECT,
INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE). That user is configured in settings.xml
(parameter to the JDBC URL).

I have found something in NetArchiveSuite code that kind of bothers me.
When initializing the GUIApplication class, the initialization of the site
section triggers a check in MySQLSpecifics of some kind of  per-table
version in the DB schema, and if needed, performs a programmatic migration
(DBSpecifics line 212). This migration involves performing ALTER updates
on the  database, which I don't intend, for security reasons, to allow to
the application. So right now I'm getting an SQL exception because my
configured user is limited to SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE. How
comes such structural updates are done in Java? This seems to me a design
fault, all schema modifications should be performed by SQL scripts
executed as root on the local machine that hosts the database (or a
separate Java program) , and not by the application itself. Also I believe
that the version number should be at the schema scope, the table scope
seems too thin to me, there is risk to leave the DB schema in an
incoherent state.

So right now I have no other choice than compromising my security to cope
with this. Sure it's not that big a deal for a developper installation,
but the DB administrators will 100% sure cringe about this, and they'll be
right. I think this should be discussed for later releases of NetArchive
Suite, programmatically handling backwards compatibility during
application initialization is, in my humble opinion and based on my
experience, a serious design flaw.

Best,
Nicolas

Consider the environment before printing this mail.