[Netarchivesuite-users] Few questions about netarchivesuite

Tomas Ukkonen tomas.ukkonen at helsinki.fi
Mon Oct 27 14:12:43 CET 2008

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
However, I think you misunderstood my question
so maybe I was somewhat unclear what I meant.

> > 1) Is there anyway to delete domains?
> >
> > You just choose Definitions => Selective Harvests => Find Harvest
> > definition => Edit => Find domain => Remove - and the domain is gone

Yes. I can remove domains from Selective Harvests but I would like
to remove domains _completely_. So that it isn't listed - for an example -
on Domain Statistics page anymore.

For an example, I have added an domain (+ its seeds) to the system that
I would like to remove from the system for good. If I try to make
domain's seed list empty get an error message saying:
"Parameter seedList must not be empty."

I would like to remove domain (and its seeds) so that
it isn't included to Snapshot Harvests anymore.

Is this currently possible?

> > 2) Currently ...  Is this currently the best way to archive this?
> >
> > If you have created a new harvest definition, you just have
> to put new
> > seeds into the box ...
> >
> > Definitions => Selective Harvests => Find Harvest
> definition => Edit
> > => Add seeds
> >
> > - and the system will find and create all domains that are
> new in the
> > harvest definition, and place the respective seeds in the
> domains seed
> > list for this harvest definition

Hmm..

I'm thinking I'm trying to use the system in a way that it
wasn't meant for. I would like to have abstract 'URL lists'
domains which I could then remove or add to Selective Harvests.

You seem to suggest that I should make Selective Harvests
around certain theme which I then could rerun. This is OK
but may force you to change all harvest definitions when
links change unless you create abstract TLD domains which
seed lists you can edit.

Btw. Is there anyway to remove "Selective Harvests" or
"Snapshot Harvests" ?

I can deactive them but with more heavy use the web
interface will probably quickly become filled with
de-actived old harvests.

Regards,
--
Tomas Ukkonen