[Netarchivesuite-users] remote monitoring via JMX and distributed harvesters

Bjarne Andersen netarkivet at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Jul 28 11:49:03 CEST 2008

I had some struggle today getting remote JMX monitoring and even harvesting to work on some new servers

The solution to all my struggles was to ensure that /etc/hosts (linux serves) contained the IP-number and the hostname of the server

This was the servers "original" /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1               harvester-006.kb.dk harvester-006 localhost.localdomain localhost

To get things working this should be changed to:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
130.226.228.74  harvester-006.kb.dk harvester-006

Before that JMX monitoring did only work on localhost and harvesters connected to a queue-name with '127_0_0_1' in the name - meaning that
if I had multiple servers doing this they would connect to the same unique JMS-queue - screwing things up.

So for a distributed environment always remember to have the 'real' IP-adress and host-name in the /etc/hosts - otherwise things might not work.

best
--
Bjarne Andersen
Head of Digital Resources