[Netarchivesuite-users] Code freeze for development version 3.5.0

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen kfc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Thu Feb 14 09:45:17 CET 2008

Hi all.

We are freezing our code for development version 3.5.0, a release that
focuses on some pretty important issues with stability and reliability.

Note that this will be a development version, it is not expected to be
stable for release.

In this release we switch the scope implementation we use with Heritrix,
so DecidingScope is used instead of the old deprecated and inefficient
scopes DomainScope and HostScope. This is expected to give a performance
boost on our larger crawls. It also opens possibilities for implementing
some feature requests that have been asked for, namely counting "inlined
material", such as images, in the domain that inlines them, when
calculating the limits we set on our harvest sizes.

This release also has a major improvement in stability when it comes to
JMS communication. Up until now, losing the JMS connection, an
application had to be restarted to get back in working order. Luckily,
this is no longer the case, a new improvement makes our applications try
to reconnect and get the connection back.

Finally some behind the scenes work has been going on, preparing for a
dramatic improvement in the archive component. While we have always had
replication and active bit integrity checks, the handling has been
somewhat cumbersome, requiring manually starting checks of the entire
archive. This is still the case, but the code has been cleaned up and
reviewed, preparing for more flexible checks.

Apart from that, the usual bunch of minor bugs and feature requests have
been addressed.

We will commence release testing, and a development version should be
available soon.

For developers: Remember that during code freeze, only fixes of bugs
with Highest priority may be committed to the code base.

Best,
  Kåre
--
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen - NetarchiveSuite developer
THE STATE AND UNIVERSITY LIBRARY,