[Netarchivesuite-devel] Discussing what version of Java to use with the next release of NetarchiveSuite.

tra-spam tra-spam at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon May 12 13:25:46 CEST 2014

In the coming months we will pay off some of the “technical debts” in NetarchiveSuite, one of these being upgrading the tested platform from Oracle Java 6 which Oracle stopped free updates for in February 2013.

There are currently two choices where the state as of today is:

Java 7 – widely available, commercially from at least Oracle and IBM, and freely as OpenJDK on many Linux platforms.
Java 8 – freshly released from Oracle.  IBM Java 8 is in beta, and OpenJDK is not available yet on Linux platforms.

However, Java 7 will stop being supported by Oracle around April next year (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html) .  As we currently expect to have the next release ready for production usage in fourth quarter 2014 or first quarter 2015, this is a factor that needs consideration.

Also, it may be a problem for some users that they may not be able to upgrade to Java 7 and/or 8 for technical or political reasons.  If so, we would like to hear about it.

Thanks

/Thorbjørn