[Netarchivesuite-devel] Opening of Icelanic Web Archive

Søren Vejrup Carlsen svc at kb.dk
Tue Sep 29 17:16:31 CEST 2009

FYI

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: IIPC Members List [mailto:MEMBERS at LIST.NETPRESERVE.ORG] På vegne af Þorsteinn Hallgrímsson
Sendt: 29. september 2009 17:08
Til: MEMBERS at LIST.NETPRESERVE.ORG
Emne: [IIPC-Members] Opening of Icelanic Web Archive

Dear Abbie..

I promised to let you know when Iceland opened access to its Web Archive  (http://vefsafn.is/index.php?page=english).

This happened today when the minister of Culture, Education and Science formally opened the archive.

The web archive is open to all and it covers all our web collections, i.e. bulk harvest of the .is domain (3 times a year since late 2004), weekly collections since mid 2006 and 3 national elections. Currently about 14.1 TB and about 850 million URL's thereof about 250 million known duplicates.

We have already had reactions because of articles in the national newspapers and discussions on major blog sites, not the least because the web site of a member of parliament that has been unavailable since October last year suddenly reappeared in the Web Archive.

We use the open Wayback Machine with our modified/customized user interface. The introduction is in English but everything else in Icelandic.

With best regards.
Thorsteinn.