[Netarchivesuite-devel] Removing a file from BitArchives

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen kfc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Wed Oct 28 10:51:10 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 15:36 +0100, nicolas.giraud at bnf.fr wrote:

> Hi  Kåre,
>
> Well we will probably use the LocalArcRepositoryClient, however I
> think it's better to implement a generic functionality, instead of
> something specific to this implementation. What do you think?

Well, the reason RemoveAndGetFile does not actually delete the file in
the distributed case, is because it is designed never to lose bits. It
is quite by design that it is not possible to really delete a file, and
even if you want to, you must know exactly what file you are deleting
and give the checksum of it. That is also why the file removed is
returned, so you have a chance to save a copy, and why it is only moved
to an attic-directory in the archive even if you do delete it.

I must admit that it scares me a little to put in actual delete
functionality in the distributed archive.

I'm unsure how to meet your requirements and still keep the bit security
level we wish. That's why I suggested only making it possible with
LocalArcRepositoryClient.

The LocalArcRepositoryClient, by the way, does not really care if you
delete this files under its feet - it simply considers the directories
given to it the entire archive, and gets it's data from there (I think -
I haven't double checked).

> By the way, I can't get the LocalArcRepositoryClient to work, I've set
> up the plugin as described in the configuration manual, but should I
> add an ArcRepositoryAplication to my setup?

No, that should not be necessary. In fact that would not make sense. Do
you have any error messages we can investigate?

Best,
  Kåre