[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for November

auriane.quoix at bnf.fr auriane.quoix at bnf.fr
Fri Oct 29 16:31:25 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Our 2021 broad crawl was launched on the 11th of October. The chosen
settings are 2100 URLs per domain, with a limit of 3 days per job. The
crawl is due to finish in the middle of November and the budget should be
around 112-115 TB.
At the start of the broad crawl, we had very slow jobs because of several
million discovered URLs.
Some of our seeds redirect to a location like "http://fr/" or "http://com/
". Heritrix considered "fr" and "com" as domains and added all the .fr or
.com sites to the queue (a fix is ongoing on Heritrix:
https://github.com/kris-sigur/heritrix3/commit/69b023199d3ad176b83c7e6d7dbb793c7a8adf66
).

The BnF DataLab was opened on the 18th of October. It is a research
assistance and support service set up by the BnF in partnership with the
TGIR Huma-Num. The DataLab is intended for researchers who want to work on
digital collections of the BnF.
A presentation about web archives was carried out by the digital legal
deposit team on this occasion.
Moreover, a research project relating to web archives has been selected,
among nearly 20 responses to a previous call for proposals launched by the
BnF DataLab. This project led by Valerie Schafer is called "Buzz F, a
history of online virality". The purpose is to reconstruct fleeting
phenomena of online virality from traces found in the archives.

A new access to our "Archives de l’internet" will be opened at the Champs
Libres Library in Rennes on November, 18th. It is the 21st access (out of
26) which will be opened in public libraries.

Finally, we will also organize a Webinar about web regional harvests, on
the 9th of November. Up to now, three regional crawls are launched each
year (Alsace, Lorraine and Languedoc-Roussillon). The aim is to exchange
about these harvests and to develop new crawls with the other provinces.

Best regards,
The BnF digital legal deposit team
Découvrez toute la programmation culturelle de la rentrée à la BnF
Pass BnF lecture/culture  : bibliothèques, expositions, conférences, concerts en illimité pour 15 € / an  –  Acheter en ligne Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.