[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for May

geraldine.camile at bnf.fr geraldine.camile at bnf.fr
Fri May 10 16:24:00 CEST 2019

Hello all,

In April, we organized an internal workshop on responsive websites. As a
start, we selected a sample of websites (NOMBRE, TYPES). We first tried to
visualize the archives of these sites with a more recent version of
Firefox and Chromium : half of the problems disappeared which lead us to
conclude that many problems are in fact access issues and not crawling
issues. As we used Firefox as User agent, the visual quality was better
with Firefox than Chromium.

In a second step, we analysed the source code of the websites which had
crawling issues. The conclusion of these analysis was that each site has
peculiarities that are specific to it. To solve the crawling problems, we
tried :
- to use various user-agents (e.g. specific version of firefox user-agent,
Chrome) but this change did not significantly change the quality of the
crawl and the choice of the user-agent must be consistent with the choice
of the browser used for the access.
- to crawl the websites with the IIPC Heritrix 3 version and the defaut
Javascript extractor. It solved some problems, but not all : it
dramatically reduced the number of 404 errors related to javascript
through a javascript extractor which seemed to be more powerful.
- to crawl the websites with the latest release of Umbra included in NAS.
During the tests, Umbra fell as during our first tests in December. It's
very efficient for social networks as Instagram or pinterest, especially
to crawl images. But due to the instability of the application, it's
impossible to put it in production. We'll probably test it again during
the preparation of our broad crawl tests."

Further to the fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris on April 15th, the
IIPC has tremendously contributed to the special crawl we launched. 256
sites were selected by the community. We thank all the contributers for
their help.

Best regards,
The BnF digital legal deposit team
Expositions  Manuscrits de l’extrême  – jusqu'au 7 juillet 2019 | François-Mitterrand
et  Le Monde en sphères  – jusqu'au 21 juillet 2019 | François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.