[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for October

peter.stirling at bnf.fr peter.stirling at bnf.fr
Tue Oct 9 11:04:15 CEST 2018

Hello all,

After the two workshops on crawling YouTube (covered in our June update),
we were able in July to launch a production crawl using the process
previously outlined. This first crawl lasted 20 days. The curators
selected 42 channels and we crawled all the videos from these channels: 28
063 videos, with the exception of 10 videos that had been removed and one
video excluded because of our filters. The crawl represents 1.8 TB and
more than 3 000 hours of video. A second crawl is planned in November.

We have also finished work on giving access to these videos, as well as
those crawled during the elections last year. To replay the videos within
YouTube pages, we built on the system already used for Dailymotion. A
specific rule is applied to pages for which videos have been collected,
allowing us to replace the YouTube player with another called FLV Player,
which is present in our archives. We use the metadata collected during the
crawl to establish the link between the web page and the correct video
file. As the page listing all the videos on a channel is not fully
collected by Heritrix, we created pages within our access application with
the full list of videos collected for each channel, and inserted a button
within the YouTube page to link to this list. Finally, we created a
"guided tour", similar to that which already exists for news sites, with a
list of all the YouTube channels collected. This is also based on the
metadata, with additional description added by curators.

In other news, we have just started our broad crawl for 2018. It will be
the biggest broad crawl we have yet performed, with a budget of 110 TB and
4.7 million domains in the seed list. The budget per domain is 2 500 URLs
(compared to 1 500 URLs last year). During this crawl, the total size of
the BnF web archives is expected to exceed 1 Petabyte.

Best regards,
The BnF digital legal deposit team

Exposition  Épreuves d'imprimeur. Estampes de l'Atelier Franck Bordas  – du 2 octobre au 25 novembre 2018 | François-Mitterrand Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.