[Netarchivesuite-curator] Netarchive NAS update for August - October

Sabine Schostag sas at kb.dk
Tue Oct 3 10:05:27 CEST 2017

Dear all.

Hereby a brief update from KB DK:

We are preparing a 2-days workshop for Netarchive curators on harvesting social media. Hopefully the outcome will be usefull for our coming event harvest on local and regional elections on 21 November. We also aim to use BCWeb with external partners on the election event harvest.

The developers are going to have a workshop in the middle of October. The curator wishes are as follows (in order of priority):

  *   Replay of https-pages in Wayback

  *   Improvement of Heritrix and integration of supplementary collection tools (e.g. brozzler)

  *   Introduction of a (technical) collection concept. This will give us the ability to integrate data collected before and without NAS.

  *   Improvement of Access

  *   More automated QA

Most likely we wil not be able to perform a full broad crawl with 2 steps this year (our last full broad crawl is from the beginning of 2016), because of our problems with Heritrix 3 Remote Access. We expect to be able to solve this problem with NAS 5.4, which will be implemented after having finished the compression of the archive in the beginning of 2018.

Since January 2017 we only harvested about 25 TB

In the beginning of September 2017 Netarchive was blocked by about 54.000 domains (out of 1.32 Mill. Domains)

The implementation of “Web Danica” (automated identification of Danish web content outside .dk) is ongoing.

The migration of documentation from the old “MediaWiki” to Jira is finished.

Talk to you later today [😊]

 Best, Sabine