[Netarchivesuite-curator] BnF NAS update for February

peter.stirling at bnf.fr peter.stirling at bnf.fr
Tue Feb 14 10:58:05 CET 2012

Dear All,

Here is the monthly update on NAS developments at the BnF. The main news
is that BnF Collecte du Web (BCWeb), our new selection tool, is up and
running ! We opened up the tool to the users in two steps :

- We first used the admin functions to update NAS. We had already imported
the URLs into BCWeb, including the most recent changes by the curators and
some reorganisation of our crawls for 2012. We then used BCWeb to transfer
the first harvest definitions into NAS. The transfer went smoothly, so we
proved that BCWeb is able to update the seedlists, harvest templates and
harvest definitions in NAS. Using the updated harvest defintitions we then
launched the twice-yearly crawl in January, the monthly crawl at the
beginning of February, and we will continue to update before launching
each crawl (or once a month of the daily and weekly crawls.) We have also
started crawling for the 2012 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections,
but we will give more details about this in a future update.

- Once we were sure that the admin functions were OK, we opened up access
to our network of 80 curators on the 7th February. So far we have had a
lot of positive feedback, with a few bugs being pointed out that we hope
to fix in the next release, which is planned for early in March. We will
be holding training sessions in March, but we decided to open up BCWeb in
advance as it is designed to be easy and intuitive to use, and we hope to
use the training sessions to gather reactions and suggestions for future
improvements.

The third step, on which we are currently working, will be to provide an
external access to BCWeb for partners who select sites for certain
projects. To begin with this will be mainly the regional libraries who are
participating in our election crawl. We are aiming to have this external
access in place by mid-march.

Best regards,

The BnF digital legal deposit team

Exposition  Casanova, la passion de la Liberté  - du 15 novembre 2011 au 19 février 2012 - BnF - François-Mitterrand / Grande Galerie Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.